2012 New Year's Resolutions {Jump into January}

{new year fresh start resolution}

There are two problems with the resolutions I make: {1} I want to improve all areas of my life at once (More devotional time, exercise, eat better, read more? Yes, yes, yes, and yes!), and {2} some resolutions are better implemented for a couple weeks and not always feasible for an entire year (i.e., giving up sugar for 365 days? Not in my lifetime!).

So, 2012 is the year I will do an idea I got from my cousin-in-law: implementing smaller goals and focus areas divided up throughout the year.



THE MONTHLY RESOLUTION SOLUTION

I've heard it takes 21-28 days to form a habit. One study shows it takes more like 66 days to make an action automatic, another suggests it's more like 21-28 days to establish a bad habit and closer to 60+ to solidify a good habit, and another says it depends on the habit you're trying to form. Whatever the case, if I can do something for a month, that's a great start to continuing beyond the month, if I wish.


{follow through}

Additionally, by focusing on one goal or one theme each month {1} I will be able to work on multiple areas of my life that I want to improve, and {2} I will be able to get a little more extreme with my goals for a few weeks at a time (give up eating out for an entire month, anyone?) and not feel like a failure if I decide to return to my previous ways once the month is up.


MY MONTHLY RESOLUTIONS

I've broken my resolutions up into themes and basic goals for each month (of course, getting creative with the monthly titles). I plan to post at the end of each month with {1} an update of how I did on my resolutions for the current month and {2} information about what I plan to work on in the upcoming month.

{2012}

In addition to reading 1 book a month, here's the quick rundown of what I'll be working on in 2012:

JUMP INTO JANUARY {exercise}
FIRE UP FEBRUARY {spiritual life}
MEAL MANAGEMENT MARCH {food}
APPRECIATE APRIL {family time}
MINIMIZING MAY {project eliminate}
JUNKLESS JUNE {reduce, refuse}
JOINT-EFFORT JULY {marriage}
OPTIMIZE AUGUST {photography}
SIMPLIFY SEPTEMBER {simple life}
BLOGTOBER {blog}
KNOCK-IT-OUT NOVEMBER {homemade, DIY}
COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS {advent calendar}


{jump}

JUMP INTO JANUARY

The resolution for this month is simple:

  • 4 minutes / 4 days / 4 weeks
  • yoga once a week
  • get a library card
  • visit library once a week


I chose to start with exercise for a couple reasons: {1} it doesn't need any prep work (I'm not getting a gym membership or going crazy with my workouts, I'm just simply exercising), and {2} what better way to start off a year of getting things done, than doing something?! A little movement goes a long way into boosting endorphins, getting the metabolism moving, motivating movement for the day, and igniting energy for other areas of life.

Also, exercise is something I'd like to keep up the whole year long, and spending a month focusing on making it happen is a very important first step to making it an ongoing habit.


CURIOUS ABOUT THE 4 MINUTES A DAY?
Short workout plans are nothing new. They pack a lot of action to burn calories, jumpstart the metabolism, use moves that workout multiple parts of the body at one time and fit easily into the day. There's lots of workout videos that could be used (including Tony Horton's 10 Minute Trainer).

{4 minute workout}

Daniel found the 4 minute workout plan on Pinterest and I love it. It's intense and challenging and just when I'm about to give up, it's over. Plus, I don't have to wake up earlier to do it. We use the free interval timer app on our iPhones to track the 20-second workouts and the 10-second breaks. At any time I can try other short workouts or even go longer if I wish (not thinking that will happen).

WHY 4 DAYS A WEEK?
Mainly because I want to accomplish my resolution, and working out daily is not always possible. 4 minutes a day / 4 days a week allows a day of slack, a day of rest (Sabbath), and a day of a longer workout that I enjoy (yoga on Sundays).

WHAT ABOUT READING?
After reading a novel in just a few short days during our vacation, I realized I'm not a slow reader like I've always claimed--that's just been my excuse for not reading. So my goal is one book a month February-November. This month I will be focusing on getting a library card and getting back into the habit of going to the library, which is vital to being successful with reading the rest of the year.


{exercise goals}

YOUR 2012 EXERCISE PLAN

Are you hoping to exercise more in 2012? Here's some articles and resources that might help you along your way...

How to Make Exercise a Daily Habit from zenhabits
10 Easy Ways to Make Exercise a Habit from Web MD
Fitness on Pinterest
The Home Workout Movement and How to Start Working out at Home at BODYROCK.tv


{What are you resolutions for 2012?}